Dec 6, 2006
memories 4m mumbai...
bbay, to me, will always be divided into segments.
the initial impression: i hated the city. there were too many people all over the place all the time! for a person like me, who needed all the space in the world, this definitely was claustrophobic! i was afraid that if i stayed here long enough, i'd become one of these people. a nameless face, a faceless name - with no identity. just hurtling along like cattle. i was so mistaken!
the wonder years: when i wondered about how amazing a city bbay was. wonder where else would i have found such amazing friends. where else would i be able to live my life, my way, and yet be amongst people. live with people, but not by them! i loved the space the city was giving me... despite the crowds.
- loved the anonymity that the city offered. loved the spirit, the soul of mumbai.
- loved the shopping sprees with close frens.
- the walks down marine drive *if u haven't walked down this path in the monsoons, u haven't really lived*
- the parks at breach candy where the waves crash onto the rocks
- hanging out at toto's, papa pancho, 5 spice, cha bar, brownie point... office parties with vodka shots in syringes, dancing like crazy to stoopid bollywood numbers at enigma & firang songs @ polys!
- spending entire days at crossword @ juhu/kemps corner *reading, browsing, buying, sorting out my head*
- barista : the daily visits. where else would they "reserve" the last slice of apple cake for you, because they knew you'd come in & ask for it! *i still think they should get the mocha pastry back!*
- the walks down kala ghoda over an extended lunch hour!
- taking the 9.06 to VT every day for 3 months. meeting my then colleague, now bestest friend on it.
- the food: the INR 1/- lunches at times house, the aam ras & sabudana khichadi *without dhaniya* at vitthal's, the wok @ noodle bar, the pasta at bbay blues, noorani's biryani, maaji saagar's schezwan dosa & cheese chutney s/w, shiv sagar's paneer dosa... truly wonderful!
the adoption: whether the city adopted me or i adopted the city is a question i may never be able to answer. but i know that i now have the city imbibed on my soul! this phase, i dedicate largely to hungama! the time when i truly fell in love with bbay. i could also dedicate it to the floods! but no, hungama's a less depressing alternative.
- the cabs/autos. cab-drivers, the beggar woman @ d linking road signal, agarbattis in cabs, bhojpuri music, t-series music, inane conversations with cabbies - all inclusive!
- HUTCH! not only for the amazing ability to drop calls or go out of coverage area when i most needed the phone, but for being my most memorable client. i guess, i made more friends than clients with them. and yeah, i do miss them!
- the obsession to watching only those movies to which we *hungama* had the rights! ended up watching lucky, HDKG, ABA AND aksar! actually, enjoyed all three! :)) also, was an emraan hashmi/celina jaitley fan! *heyy! they got downloads!!*
- the food again: moshe's. lazy sunday afternoons. love the place & d deserts! dal & chicken at mista paaji, the pronto's al fredo pasta & chocolate mousse, lachcha paratha & paneer from home deli, parle G. *gosh! i'm obsessed with food!*
- the memorable hungama offc party. *they should have them more often*
- sports bar. for all the wonderful evenings spent there. the client meetings i had there. the lunches we went for. the freebies they gave us.
to all of you who made these segments possible. love you all! always will.